Four Fun Facts About Toowoomba You Probably Didn't Know
1. Lamington's Were Invented In Toowoomba
2. Toowoomba Is Australia's Second Largest Inland City
Australia has a lot of coastal cities, but we have a severe lack of inland ones. As it turns out, Toowoomba is second only to Canberra when it comes to the population of Australian inland cities. Toowoomba has all of the shops, amenities, schools and benefits of a large city without the crowds. And if you do want a larger city, or to attend an exclusive event that is only on in our major cities, Brisbane is only 1.5 hours away!
3. Home To Some Big Names
Every city is bound to have their fair share of celebrities, and Toowoomba is no exception. Some of the biggest names include:
- Geoffrey Rush, the acclaimed actor who has the 'triple crown of acting', which includes the Academy Award, the Tony Award and the Primetime Emmy Award.
- Sonia Kruger and Meshel Laurie, both popular TV personalities.
- Frank Ford, Australia's 15th Prime Minister who was schooled in Toowoomba.
- Peter Cameron, an Australian mathematician who has made notable contributions to group theory, coding theory, combinatorics and model theory.
- Michael Brennan, a field hockey midfielder who was part of Australia's gold medal team at the 2004 Athens Olympics.
4. Home To Queensland's Oldest Licensed Hotel
Hotels are popular throughout Australia, but Queenslanders really knows how to do it. That's why it is of significance that a Cabarlah pub by the name of 'The Farmers Arms' is the oldest surviving hotel in Australia. First licensed over 150 years ago in 1863, the Farmers Arms was once part of a local jail. Despite the changing of hands in 2014 to Prince and Helen 'Chub' Dascombe, the rearrangements to the venue were only superficial. The original historic integrity and feel have been preserved for future generations to enjoy. Have a beer if you visit, and let them know Shelton Homes sent you!
Toowoomba really is a great place to call home, and the team at Shelton Homes are proud to be servicing the local community for over 20 years, building family homes like no others in the Toowoomba and Darling Downs areas. If you are looking to relocate to Toowoomba and build your dream family home, be sure to get in touch with our friendly, award winning team for a chat.